Castles, Cliffs, & Crying!

One of the many things I’m great at doing is, swallowing my problems and pretending that they’re not there. I push them deeper and deeper into my stomach and just expect my problems to sit there peacefully, with no disturbances from me, just to sit in sheer comfort deep in my stomach.
Sooner or later, I erupt. I wish I could tell you I’m not as bad as an erupting volcano at its peak, I really wish I could tell you I know how to be cool as the cucumbers you put in your salads, but I just can’t bring myself to lie. I am the proud owner of the most dramatic person to live award, and have had the honour of receiving a blue peter badge from the CEO himself for mastering the arts of the emotional wrecks.

All jokes aside, I am entitled to my emotions, and I fail at hiding my feelings, they don’t shy away from showing themselves on my face, whatever the occasion, it’s a must my feelings present themselves too. It’s all fine and dandy when I’m happy and I’m smiling and showcasing my teeth as my real trophies. But when I’m an emotional wreck, I don’t really want the world to know I’m going psycho for the moment.

I had a psycho episode this weekend. I’m not proud, and I will live for the day I can share these stories with my grandchildren.

Sunday’s are used as days I get the chance to pick a city and unveil its jewels. This Sunday, my old and wandering soul took me to Dover!

First stop was Dover Castle. I am a sucker for a good castle, or anything that is painted with brushes of the past.

During WW2, the number of hospitals were decreasing from the all the bombings taking place. Deep under the Castle, an underground hospital was built as well as underground war time tunnels, which you’re able to walk through.

The first thing that smacked the smile off my face was the fact I couldn’t take any pictures for copyright reasons. Understandable.

It was an experience nonetheless. Smells and sounds are released during the tour to give you a feel of what it really felt like to be underground, in narrow corridors struggling to stay lit from the lack of light.

Next stop was the castle itself! You get to step inside the great tower and immerse yourself in everything the medieval palace has to offer.

I was completely mesmerised. The royals in the medieval times bathed in lavish furnishings, and energetic colours.

It was almost like a maze, one staircase leading to another corridor which would lead to another level of staircases.

Everything was so picturesque, except me. Every picture that was taken of me I just couldn’t be satisfied. I am so grateful for the person(s) who take my pictures. If the night ceased to come I would get certain person(s) to take pictures of me forever.

I am a little nosey bugger.

I managed to get excited about going on a two mile hike over Dover Cliffs, and dine like a princess running away from the chains of her chambers to the lighthouse that sits perfectly at the top of the cliff overlooking the city.

There are truly some beautiful parts of England that get deprived of its appreciation. Standing guard as the gateway to England, the cliffs of Dover successfully took my breath away.

For Centuries, the cliffs of Dover have stood to watch over the channel. I can imagine, thousands of years ago, people would stand on the cliffs and dream of crossing the water to the French coast.

We made it! Sweating and out of breath, ready to indulge into anything at this point.

Would you believe me if I told you, we walked 2 miles empty stomached, we remembered our phones and our cameras, but we forgot to pick up money for food and drinks.

My words at this point had run out. I was ready to pass out at the thought of walking the 2 miles BACK empty stomached.

I dragged myself back to the car, tears streaming down my face, frown lines etching a permanent mark on my forehead, leaving a dirt trail behind me from all the dragging my feet were doing. Struggling to breath, and contemplating whether that was the light I was seeing, it is safe to say I made it back to the car in one piece.

All the people I passed while in this state must have thought I was a mad woman. They probably didn’t know whether to comfort me from crying or to stay clear from all the stomping and dragging.

I would be lying again if I said I was as cool as the cucumber you eat in your salads.

I did faint.

There had to be something to seal the day from hell and it sure as hell was that!

I am lucky to have been in the company of my bestest friend in the whole world. I was fed and patched up in no time.

If I was to do it again, I wouldn’t change a damn thing.

Nm.

30 Comments Add yours

1. wallacecass says:

Wow, very cool experience you had. Thanks for sharing it. 🙂

1. NM says:

Thank you so much for reading! X

1. wallacecass says:

It was my pleasure. 🙂

2. Shoaib says:

Love the view from the hill! So wanna be there. Nice pictures 🙂

1. NM says:

It was amazing! You need to be there! Thank you for reading! X

Liked by 1 person

3. Woww .. amazing place .. amazing views and even more amazing description by you 🙂

4. stephaj94 says:

Amazing place, I would give everything to visit it! Pretty dramatic ending though haha. There’s nothing as beautiful as nature ❤

1. NM says:

Haha welcome to a day in the life of Nazrin hey! Glad you enjoyed reading! X

5. Michele says:

Amazing!!!!!!!

Liked by 1 person

6. Hey the anger part it seemed that you are writing about me. I just do the same. Great and amazing place….

7. onceuponadollhouse says:

The photos of you hell-ish day do make the day look not so bad. Hope your issues come to a calm and quiet place. Enjoy the weekend!

1. NM says:

You too! Thank you for reading! X

8. That castle looks amazing! It reminds me of these ruins I visited when I was in Macau. So beautiful!!

9. Mandi says:

Gorgeous photos. Crying and releasing emotions is so important.

10. Firaga says:

I wish I was on those cliffs right now. They look so tranquil….

11. alslaff says:

Stopped by to thank you for your recent like on Shift Key and look at your lovely site. Thank you for taking me to the castle and cliffs of Dover. When I was a boy, I was sick, bed-ridden for a bit. My favorite aunt bought me all the Sherlock Holmes mysteries reprinted in one book. The print was tiny. I read it cover to cover. You stated that you could imagine people looking out from the cliffs maybe wanting to go to France. I am on the outside looking in forever wanting to be in England. Thanks for the sweet taste of it.

1. NM says:

Wow! So glad you got to read this and I’m glad you enjoyed it more so!!!

12. That’s beautiful! All of those photos-and I think you look great. Sometimes we have to just feel what we’re feeling and let it out, and sometimes it comes out much more in places of great wonder-and plus, traveling can be stressful and exacerbate it.

13. ireviewglobal says:

That’s my one dislike about long walks… walking back! And I get hungry too!!

1. NM says:

Ugh, on the way there I completely forget about it, and then it just dawns on me and I wish I didn’t get so excited in the first place!

14. I would love to visit that castle, it would be so cool to walk through the underground part.
    I probably would have been just as exhausted and sick as you!

La Belle Sirene

1. NM says:

Haha! Glad you enjoyed the read!

15. The castle looks incredible and that view is AMAZING. I’d imagine you’d just want to sit there forever.

1. NM says:

It was hard ripping me away, it felt surreal honestly!

16. Amanda Walter says:

Looks like you had a wonderful time. I’m the same way – my face does not allow me to hide what’s going on on the inside. I’m working on it, hehe.

Liked by 1 person

17. wow this is an incredible place to visit for the history as well as the beauty. i really hope to see this in person some day

18. PackYourBaguios says:

Beautiful scenery! I think my brain would be on overload, wanting to take it all in.

19. unaizakhalid says: