Bobbys – Leicester

Dearest Readers,

This week I went on an adventure to Leicester.

With my hunters hat on & and my saddle buckled tightly around my waist I was off to explore the streets of Leicester ready to uncover yet another hidden gem.

I arrived onto the Golden Mile on Belgrave Road, a stretch of road dotted with the most authentic restaurants. Seeking the best one we started trotting along the mile.

The marooned coloured walls of Bobbys shone in the then setting sun & stood out to me the most amongst the other white washed restaurants. A cute café styled restaurant that is passionate about serving vegetarian food.

IMG_5696

Upon entering the restaurant I first noticed the takeaway bar before I noticed the wait to be seated sign. We were quickly served by Tonima who seated us at our table and handed us our menus.

IMG_5694IMG_5691IMG_5692

I love how the dishes had cute illustrations on the side so that you knew what your order would come out like.IMG_5665IMG_5664

IMG_5654IMG_5655IMG_5657IMG_5658

I was drawn to the Thaali straight away.

A thaali is used to describe the silver plate which is used to place small bowls of food each consisting of different flavours. To be eaten with either rice, puris which is a deep fried bread, or roti.

I chose the biggest thaali which consisted of:

Two Curries

A Choice Of Four Chappatis Or Puris

Plain Rice

Choice of Dal or Kadi

Gulab Jamun

Raita

& Roasted Popadum

We also ordered some grilled paneer which is fresh cheese common in South India and some paani puris which is a common street snack in India.

IMG_5672IMG_5673IMG_5667IMG_5670IMG_5675

When my Thaali was bought out to me I can genuinely confess I felt like I was in a hut on the side of the railway lines in India sitting amongst the hustle and bustle of the workers taking a break from their work. I rubbed my hands together, ripped off a piece of puri and dug straight into the potatoes!

IMG_5677

Each and every dish had its own set of flavours and each of them burst in my mouth. I hadn’t ever tried such a an enriched potato dish. Even the paneer ran a riot of flavour in my mouth.

Daal is made up of lentis and this is a dish we have at home. Ours is usually a lot thicker and tastes a lot more tangy due to the tomatoes we use but the daal in this dish was a little more watery. The flavour however is one I hadn’t tried in a daal. A combination of sweet and sour it adds a dimension to the entire meal!

IMG_5682IMG_5680IMG_5679IMG_5684

The restaurant offers a traditional menu style service as well as a buffet set up for those who prefer unlimited amounts of food!

IMG_5689

The restaurants décor revolved around the top grossing Indian movie of the 70’s; Bobby. Oh the 70’S! Bollywood most colourful and vibrant era yet! My heart belongs in the 50 & 60’s of Bollywood I would be lying if I didn’t admit that it is the 70’s that redefined fashion for India!

IMG_5662IMG_5661IMG_5660

Moving forward,

The only part of the meal I wasn’t overly happy with were the puris. They were too oily for my liking and I did eventually end up feeling sickly after eating just one.

Besides this I was I felt like we were tended to very well & were recommended the best dishes to eat by the team there. The restaurant filled up pretty quickly as night fell over us but the service given was still intact.

IMG_5685.JPEG

Bobbys in Leicester has opened my tastebuds to a whole new universe of tastes and flavours!

What are some of your favourite vegetarian restaurants?

Love Always

NmDiaries

PIN ME!!!

Bobbys Leicester

Share:

37 Comments

1. January 12, 2018 / 7:56 pm

The food sounds so yummy. I like the bread and dipping thing.

2. January 12, 2018 / 8:12 pm

The food looked amazing in the display case! I loved the way the restaurant was set up as well.

3. January 12, 2018 / 8:21 pm

Oo this looks delicious and I don’t live too far from Leicester either! Must give it a visit 🙂

4. January 12, 2018 / 9:45 pm

A lot of tasty food in your photos! Restaurants like this is worth a a good review indeed!

5. Jasmin N
    January 12, 2018 / 9:59 pm

Ah everything looks so amazing! If I’m ever in Leicester I definitely need to pop by this restaurant, how cosy it sounds.

6. January 12, 2018 / 11:10 pm

I live in New York City and we have a great assortment of Indian Restaurants here, I LOVE Indian foods! Tandoori Shrimp and Chicken are two of my favorites and I haven’t met a curry that I didn’t like!

7. January 13, 2018 / 8:30 am

Exactly what I’m craving right now – Indian vegetarian!! The restaurant looks lovely.

Tadeja

8. January 13, 2018 / 9:28 am

Well now I’m going to have to have a curry. Leicester isn’t too far for me to travel so may have to tie in a shopping trip and a meal in together.

9. January 13, 2018 / 11:04 am

Bobby’s looks amazing! I love Indian food and I am trying to reduce my meat intake so this is perfect! the food looks so good!

10. January 13, 2018 / 12:49 pm

The food looks amazing! Will bookmark for next time I visit Leicester

11. January 13, 2018 / 1:42 pm

I love eating out and Bobbys looks brilliant. I am actually hungry just reading this x

12. January 13, 2018 / 3:59 pm

I’m actually visiting Leicester this weekend, so might just have to make a stop here. The food looks delicious and I have been craving some pani puri 🙂

13. January 13, 2018 / 4:54 pm

The food sounds so yummy. I like the bread and dipping thing.

14. January 14, 2018 / 8:35 pm

Oh wow the food looks amazing!! Would love to treat the hubby to somewhere like this 🙂

15. January 15, 2018 / 2:02 am

The food sounds so yummy. and look delicious. I would really love to dine there..

16. January 15, 2018 / 3:45 am

Wow, the food looks so deliciously prepared. I have not yet tried these foods and who would not love to try? I wanna experience it too! Maybe time for me to check the names of the food and take note of it.

17. January 15, 2018 / 5:57 am

Oh it all looks so yummy! I’d love to eat here someday.

18. January 15, 2018 / 6:42 am

That looks really yum. Paneer dishes are popular in North India than south India though. These days it’s made in south India also but not very common in states like kerala yet.

19. Lillian
    January 15, 2018 / 9:24 am

I love Bobby’s!! I’ve been going there for over thirty years whenever I can. As I live in Somerset these days we only get there once or twice a year but it’s well worth the eight hour round trip!! 😀

20. Lambam
    January 15, 2018 / 10:00 am

The food look good and tasty and I love the content of your blog ! Very articulate and well presented . Keep the good work going 👌🏼

• NM
      January 15, 2018 / 4:56 pm

Thank you so much Lambam! I appreciate it so much ❤️

21. January 15, 2018 / 7:26 pm

My mouth was watering up looking at those pictures. I just cannot get enough of Indian food! Love it and gol gappe are like wow! I have to be honest I tend to cheat and just get a box of gol gappe, Aloo imli and then make the filling at home. God they are so addictive!

22. January 15, 2018 / 10:34 pm

What a great place and that good looks amazing. All the little dishes…..mmmmm

23. January 16, 2018 / 3:36 am

I always love every time you write about your trips to restaurants. You give just the right amount of information and pictures to pique my interest without overwhelming with info. I just get hungry!

24. January 16, 2018 / 10:13 am

The food looks so good! And the movies pictures on the walls! That would definitely make me come back.

25. January 16, 2018 / 2:26 pm

Oh wow what is this Thaali? Looks amazing!! 😍 everything looks so fresh, colourful and inviting! Loved the review!

26. January 16, 2018 / 2:33 pm

Oh my gosh the food looks yummy 😋 😋
    I personally love thaali because we get variety of different food🍲..

Bushrazblogscom.wordpress.com

27. January 16, 2018 / 6:16 pm

This looks so delicious! literally made my mouth water! I don’t think I have ever ordered a thaali but what a fab idea – I always want a bit of everything when I go out to eat! thanks for sharing!

28. January 16, 2018 / 10:00 pm

Spent so much time down Belgrave Road as studied in Leicester. Don’t remember this place so must be from after my time there. Looks great

29. January 17, 2018 / 9:54 am

Yum! The thaali looks delicious! I’m craving some desi food now!

30. January 17, 2018 / 5:15 pm

Ohh everything looks so delicious! I’m actually getting really hungry here looking at your pictures.

31. January 20, 2018 / 2:39 am

The food looks amazing – I love how colourful it is! I’d not heard of thaali before!

32. January 22, 2018 / 12:46 am

Oh wow this place looks amazing and so much delicious vegetarian choices – my kind of place!! Will certainly keep this place in mind if I am ever in the area

Laura x

33. January 23, 2018 / 10:50 am

That looks delicious, so much choice too. My step sister is a vegetarian and would love it here as she loves paneer x

34. January 23, 2018 / 12:46 pm

I am so glad to hear that Bobby’s is passionate about serving vegetarian food and what a delicious menu they have as well! I love the look of the grilled paneer especially, which is one of my favourite dishes! You must have been so pleased when your thali came out as well it has so much delicious food!

35. January 24, 2018 / 7:02 am

Wow it looks so tasty and I love that they have vegetarian food too. It looks so vibrant inside. What a gorgeous dinner. x