Aftertoon Tea – Malmaison Birmingham

Dearest Readers,

My youngest sister turned 22 this month! A whole twenty two! Can you believe? I can remember when we used to share a bunk bed and I used to have the top bunk. I would pretend I was Samara from the movie ring & I would scare the living daylights out of her. This slowly upgraded to the girl from The Grudge!

It is safe to say she is now immune from getting scared when watching a horror movie. She has me to thank for that!

IMG_7974

IMG_7979

IMG_7975

For her 22nd birthday we wanted to make her feel like a grown up so we took her out to a grown up hotel where we booked a table for Afternoon Tea.

Afternoon Tea was first introduced in England by Anna Maria Russell, the seventh duchess of Bedford in the year 1840. Anna was unable to wait the long waiting period between breakfast and dinner which were the two meals people would eat back then. She would complain about the ‘sinking feeling in her stomach’ in the afternoon. The duchesses solution to this was a hot pot of tea and some light snack to be eaten privately in her boudoir! Look at her!

Afternoon Tea has since been a long-running British tradition. Today the custom remains an extremely popular pursuit, enacted in tea rooms, hotels and households across the entire country. These days however I suppose we use Afternoon Tea’s as an excuse to re-create a sense of the old fashioned finery using good old English etiquette.

You can find Malmaison in the centre of Birmingham City in the Mailbox.

It has its own car park for those who drive – it isn’t the cheapest car parking facility lets just put it that way!

Upon entering the hotel you will find a Starbucks and the reception. Stairs leading you to the first floor of the building will take you to the restaurant/bar area. This is where they serve the Afternoon Tea.

IMG_5842

IMG_5845

Huge bird cages hung from the ceiling while the walls glittered in the dim lighting. After having walked up a few of the steps I could hear the buzzing of conversations coming from the bar and restaurant area above.

IMG_5917-1

IMG_5907

We pre-booked so we were seated almost straight away. If we hadn’t had done this we would most definitely had waited in that queue for at least an hour. You could tell it was a popular location for Afternoon Tea as every table was decorated beautifully with the most eloquent set up of finger sandwiches, scones and cakes.

It seemed everyone wanted Afternoon Tea that evening!

IMG_5851

IMG_5850

IMG_5869

Malmaison offer a traditional Afternoon Tea for £19.95 which includes:

Fruit or plain scones,

smoked salmon & cream bagel,

beetroot & goat cheese wrap,

mini Mal burger,

Chocolate mouse

Salted chocolate brownie

Carrot cake

Mini chocolate eclair

Seasonal berry milkshake

& a selection of specialty teas!

Although the tea selection was quite extensive I went for a Hot Chocolate since I didn’t fancy any of the teas. The waiter was happy to accommodate me.

IF YOU DONT ASK YOU DONT GET!

IMG_5878

My sister did get herself a Jasmine Tea which came in the cutest pot EVER!!!

IMG_5857IMG_5869

Malmaison have taken the most British tradition and put their own stamp on it. The restaurant was decorated with funky neon colours and pop art.

IMG_5896I felt like I had stepped right into Tumblr!

IMG_5848

IMG_5862

IMG_5903

IMG_5905

The deep contrast of maroon and teal colours of the leather booths and the wood styled walls that dimly lit lamps hung from curtained the restaurant. It is the fine detail that gives Malmaison a roaring 20’s feel. Gatsby would have dined Daisy here no doubt!

We sat in a cute booth and ordered our delights.

IMG_5886

The spread was served on a two tier stand where the sweets were placed on the top tier and the savouries on the bottom.

IMG_5888

IMG_5889

My cream bagel could have used a lot more cream and a lot less cucumber but it was delicious nonetheless.

IMG_5887

The mini burgers were absolutely delicious even though I couldn’t even finish mine!

IMG_5890

IMG_5895

My favourite part of the entire spread was the seasonal berry drink. They came in small bottles with vintage straws! I was a little sad the bottle was so small as I had to sporadically drink my smoothie throughout the course of my meal which wasn’t fun. My sisters found it quite amusing.

The restaurant was bustling with people you could hear the vibrating sounds of conversations hanging over groups of friends and family around the entire room. The service was warm and inviting & I would go back a 100 times over. I have a 100 other Afternoon Tea gems to uncover otherwise I would be back every weekend!

IMG_5915

I would recommend Malmaison to anyone who is looking for a glamorous Afternoon Tea day out with friends or sisters. We definitely felt a million bucks while we sat in our leather booths and sipped our Jasmine Teas & Hot Chocolates!

What are some of your favourite Afternoon Tea places?

Love Always,

NmDiaries

PIN ME!!!

Afternoon Tea Malmaison Birmingham

Share:

61 Comments

1. January 22, 2018 / 10:53 am

Wow! This looks amazing, I would be all over those mini burgers!!!

2. January 22, 2018 / 11:08 am

This looks absolutely awesome!! I have a friend who lives in Birmingham, and I Defo think when I go to visit her we may have toteeat our selves!

3. January 22, 2018 / 12:11 pm

Your memories of scaring your sister in childhood remind me of one of my sisters–whose favorite game was to pretend to be a “velociraptor” from Jurassic Park after bedtime to scare the younger siblings. haha! This really looks like a glamorous location for a birthday celebration! The berry drink looks good!

4. January 22, 2018 / 12:38 pm

Aw happy birthday to your sister! I loved looking at your photos!!

5. January 22, 2018 / 1:06 pm

Oh wow, this looks like a great place to have some afternoon tea, I lived in Birmingham for a while but never really got time to explore it. Those mini burgers look so delicious by the way and look like you had a great time.

6. January 22, 2018 / 1:46 pm

What a gorgeous place. I would love to do this with my daughter one day. The food and drinks look amazing.

7. January 22, 2018 / 2:57 pm

Happy birthday to your sister! And how nice of the waiter to give you hot chocolate instead of tea! This sounds like a lovely place!

8. January 22, 2018 / 3:53 pm

I had no idea that is how afternoon tea came to be! Pretty cool! That place looks like a great place to grab a bite to eat. The food looks quite tasty.

9. January 22, 2018 / 5:01 pm

I have heard of malmaison! the place looks great! loving the decor! and the food looks so so good!

10. January 22, 2018 / 7:06 pm

They have the coolest vibe going on there with the decor and the menu! I’ll bet it is fun at night as well.

11. January 22, 2018 / 7:32 pm

I absolutely love afternoon teas and this place looks amazing and really funky! love how it is a bit different from the more traditional ones and includes a milkshake and mini burger! The salted chocolate brownie I think would be my favourite!

12. January 22, 2018 / 7:34 pm

I love tea parties. I need to check this place out.

13. January 22, 2018 / 7:54 pm

Love afternoon teas and this looks amazing! We don’t do it often, mostly when my in-laws visit. Belated Happy Birthday to your sister 🙂

14. January 22, 2018 / 9:24 pm

Your story about scaring your sister made me laugh because I used to do that with my roommate in our dorm bunk beds. Looks like you had a wonderful time celebrating your sister. Happy birthday to her!!

15. Jasmin N
    January 22, 2018 / 9:43 pm

This looks & sounds so cosy! Glad to hear that you had a lovely time 🙂 congratulations to your sister 🙂

16. January 22, 2018 / 10:23 pm

I love this and it makes me want to go grab my favorite cup and make some tea while reading this!! It looks like you guys had a great time and ya gotta love that sister bond!!

17. January 22, 2018 / 11:37 pm

What a great idea for a birthday! Also, those birdcage lanterns are incredible and I want them.

18. January 22, 2018 / 11:59 pm

I’ve heard so much about the Malmaison but I have never managed to make it myself yet. Your pictures and what you had totally make me want to change that though and I don’t live too far away.

19. January 23, 2018 / 1:13 am

That has to be one of the most beautiful afternoon tea venues that I have ever seen I think that it is absolutely gorgeous! Also happy 22nd birthday to your sister as well x

20. January 23, 2018 / 1:47 am

What a great place and time to spend with dear sisters! Love the matching clothes you were wearing when you were kids! Happy birthday to your sister!

21. Ruth I.
    January 23, 2018 / 5:31 am

I just adore the idea of afternoon tea! There’s nothing like a yummy snack and hot cup of delicious tea in the afternoon!

22. Hannah Marie
    January 23, 2018 / 6:16 am

Yum! The Chocolate Salted Brownie sounds devine! I would totally get that or the mini chocolate eclair (I’d have to get 2 of those tho!).

23. January 23, 2018 / 10:17 am

This looks amazing, I am a huge fan of afternoon teas. I think I need to visit my local Malmaison in Newcastle to try afternoon tea now as I love the milkshakes and burgers x

24. January 23, 2018 / 10:19 am

Aww this post is so sweet. I’m very close to my sisters too. PS live those mini burgers.

25. Vy Nguyen
    January 23, 2018 / 11:29 am

Thanks for sharing your story to all of us. It’s touching <3

26. January 23, 2018 / 11:50 am

I am a huge fan of afternoon tea parties. This sounds great. What a lovely looking place.

27. January 23, 2018 / 11:53 am

I love an afternoon tea! Used to have them with my mum at a farm shop, but it was definitely not as fancy as yours! It looks amazing. It must have been an amazing time.

28. January 23, 2018 / 1:21 pm

I love the smoothies and sliders! Malmaison seems like a nice place to dine in.

29. January 23, 2018 / 2:20 pm

That afternoon tea looks incredible< i would love to try and afternoon tea

30. January 23, 2018 / 3:18 pm

We have a lovely Malmaidon hotel in Oxford too but I am loving the Birmingham one big time, the afternoon tea is fancy and I love it

31. January 23, 2018 / 4:38 pm

Wow, what a menu for the price! This totally redefines how I envision afternoon tea (I’m in the US, this is an experience I’ve never had 🙂 ). I love all the pictures you’ve included in this post, they add so much, thank you. I’ll be adding this to my list of places to visit.

32. January 23, 2018 / 5:00 pm

Super cute! I’ve been to London twice and I STILL have yet to sit down and have traditional tea, which I’m surprised about. I enjoy sipping tea at home in the States and it’s definitely still on my bucket list.

33. January 23, 2018 / 5:39 pm

I do like a Mal experience. Had a fab girls night in Mal Newcastle, a great Christmas lunch at Mal Aberdeen, and I’ve enjoyed afternoon tea at Mal Dundee. Must get myself back there.

34. January 23, 2018 / 5:45 pm

What a fun time you had I’m originally from England been in the U.S thirty years. And still enjoy my afternoon tea

35. January 23, 2018 / 5:47 pm

This is looks great for all the family with the menu to suit. I think £19.99 per person for that price and food, I think that is a reasonable price. Great post, thanks for Sharing.

John M

36. January 23, 2018 / 6:00 pm

What a great modern touch to such an older tradition, I love all the Neon lights and banners! I can tell it creates a pretty happy and interesting vibe, looks like a nice place to have tea or have lunch!

37. January 23, 2018 / 8:19 pm

I am a tea drinker. This place looks truly amazing and I would love to visit and dine on them delicious bites. Your pictures are making me super hungry.

38. January 23, 2018 / 9:29 pm

Ah you all looked beautiful in your dresses. Sounds like a lovely day

39. January 23, 2018 / 9:54 pm

I have never done a proper afternoon tea but I would totally love to. It’s nice to see how interesting its history and origins were.

40. January 23, 2018 / 10:11 pm

I absolutely love afternoon teas, and this place looks awesome! We are not too far from Birmingham so I must try it out!

41. Sondra B
    January 23, 2018 / 11:20 pm

Great photography! Your pictures made me feel like I was at dinner with you. I will make sure to visit this restaurant when I am in town.

42. January 24, 2018 / 12:32 am

Afternoon tea is my favorite! What a great birthday present!

43. January 24, 2018 / 3:21 am

I love a tea. I have only been to formal teas, but this one looked so cool. I love the menu too. I am glad you had a wonderful time. BTW I LOOOOVE Jasmine tea.

44. January 24, 2018 / 3:24 am

That place is so beautiful It looks like a really fun way to spend an evening.

45. January 24, 2018 / 3:25 am

The food there looks so yummy! I could really have a lot of fun there.

46. January 24, 2018 / 5:50 am

This place looks absolutely amazing. I need that dessert in my life! How fun!

47. January 24, 2018 / 6:43 am

Wow afternoon tea with burgers, thats so unique. What a fun afternoon out. We love afternoon tea. Nothing beats having an excuse to have some cake in the afternoon. x

48. Catalina
    January 24, 2018 / 9:59 am

Seems that you had a lot of fun! I love that you shared your photos fronm your childhood!

49. January 24, 2018 / 10:10 am

Love your family photos – the food looks tasty too.

50. January 24, 2018 / 11:31 am

That place looks perfect – I love the frappuccino style bottles with vintage straws. I also love the idea of afternoon tea. Sometimes we just need to slow down and regroup.

51. Andrea
    January 24, 2018 / 1:37 pm

I love afternoon tea, when I was little my mom would make my friends afternoon tea and it was a great way to do something fun. She also would take me to afternoon tea to different places, whenever we would travel it was our thing.

52. January 24, 2018 / 6:48 pm

Wow! This seems like such a fun tradition. Malmaison looks amazing and they have so many amazing tea choices!

53. January 24, 2018 / 7:39 pm

Absolutely loved your childhood photos!! The three musketeers, it seems! This place looks so fantastic! Food and ambiance and everything’s so pleasant! 🙂

54. January 24, 2018 / 11:50 pm

I love that lady for inventing afternoon tea! Although I have tea about eight times a day at this stage! Looks like a bit of a mad place for tea – not what you might expect. Really cool!

55. January 25, 2018 / 2:54 am

My mother and I both enjoy afternoon tea at a local hotel in NC. I love the lights and 20’s speakeasy feel of the Malmaison, and that menu looks so tasty!

56. January 25, 2018 / 4:58 pm

It seems you all had a wonderful time enjoying afternoon tea.Everything look delicious.Also,nice to see these family pictures of sisters together…

57. January 27, 2018 / 2:36 am

Those bird cages are so cool. I have never seen anything like it before. I am now craving carrot cake.

58. January 27, 2018 / 2:37 pm

A little tea is always a good idea. I like the way they present the food when it comes out. Everything looks delicious.

59. February 5, 2018 / 10:03 pm

I have been to that hotel, is it very close to Birmingham New Street? I love that hotel and you have me sold on their Afternoon Tea! I love the idea of having mini burgers.

60. February 13, 2018 / 2:38 pm

I love a good Afternoon Tea and that looks extremely good. My favourite to date has been the Afternoon Tea we had at the Celtic Manor in South Wales for our son’s naming day x